In this video you can see how Lingua2 was some years ago. As you see a lot of work has been made since then.
People is or people are? ‘The people’ or ‘people’?
In this blog we are going to give you some hints in order to avoid common errors in English. In this article, we are going to see some topics with regard to the word people.
The answer is people are, because it is plural. As a result, we use the plural of the verb to be.
Unlike in Spanish ‘la gente’, in English the people is incorrect. The correct form is people, without article.
As follows you can find a list with all the English prepositions.
Every day we are publishing our new members. Follow us in order to keep informed!
Phrasal verbs word order
Unlike verbs that require a preposition, phrasal verbs have only one correct word order.
Example of order of verbs with preposition
- I do not know, from what city you are. (CORRECT FORMAL)
- I don’t know, what city you’re from. (CORRECT SPOKEN ENGLISH, INFORMAL)
Example of order of phrasal verbs
- This is the kind of English, I will not put up with. (CORRECT. Put out with= tolerate)
- This is the kind of English up with, I will not put. (INCORRECT)
Last sentence has its origin when Churchill heard speeches in a very formal English -with the preposition at the beginning of the subordinate sentence.
Although you need to practice a lot before you become an expert in that subject, below you can find two hacks in order to use ser and estar properly in Spanish.
Use of ‘ser’
- ‘Ser’ is used to describe a permanent feature:
- Jose es aburrido. (Jose is boring.)
- Esta ciruela es negra. (This plumb is black. What kind of plumb is it? Black.)
Use of ‘estar’
- ‘Estar’ is used to describe a transitory feature:
- Jose está aburrido (Jose is bored).
- Esta ciruela está verde (This plumb is green -Meaning: This plumb is unripped-. How is this plumb? It is green.)
- With some words:
- Está bien. Está mal. (Incorrect: Es bien. Es mal.)
A hint to remember the gender of words in German language consists of using the visual memory instead of learning them by heart.
For instance you want to remember the gender of the body parts. You can draw a man, a woman or a toy with human shape. Then you choose a color for masculine gender, another one for femenine gender and another one for neutral gender. For example you can use this combination: blue, pink, grey. Then you colour each part of the body with the colour of its gender.
- das Ohr (you colour the ears with grey)
- der Mund (you colour the mouth with blue)
- die Hand (you colour the hands with pink)
Your brain will remember the picture and you will be able to identify the gender of each body part.
How to find people
Everything depends on the ammount of potential people that you have:
You want to create an event from the beginning
Follow these steps:
- Speak with your friends about setting up an event and convince them to promote it and organise it.
- Contact international associations and tell them about your idea. Probably they will help you to organise a big event, otherwise the may send an email to their members.
- Look for potential assistants in social networks according to their country of birth, languages and other parameters.
- You can open the event to all languages so you can have more assistants.
- Tell them to register in Lingua2.
You already have a conversation group
Make your group bigger broadcasting all your events in Lingua2 and inviting our existing members.
What to offer
- Conversation meeting specific for one language
- Conversation meeting in all languages
- International welcome parties (Erasmus, international students, international professionals, etc.)
- International parties in general
- Just for fun event
- Find your language partner event
- Long events abroad for language learning or just for fun
- Any other event 🙂
In this little article we are going to tackle one of the most common mistakes in English language, the use of what ore which.
It is used when the answer has many choices. E.g.:
- What color do you like? (There are many colors)
- What city are you from?
It is used when the answer has a limited number of choices or the question is providing a list of choices.
- Which hand do you write with? (The answer must be ‘left’ or ‘right’).
- Which color do you prefer: red or white? (The question contains a list of choices)
KMplayer, unlike VLC player, is the only supporting simulataneous subtitles without using any plugin such as Subtitler Lite. Learning languages watching a film with two subtitles is a good way to improve your listening and vocabulary skills.
The first things that you need to do is downloading KMplayer. Once it is ready to use open a film and then right click on the screen. Select ‘Subtitles’ and then ‘Subtitle language’. Load the first subtitle and then repeat the same process and add ‘2nd subtitle’. You will be able to display them simultaneously in a movie