Every day we are publishing our new members. Follow us in order to keep informed!
Phrasal verbs word order
Unlike verbs that require a preposition, phrasal verbs have only one correct word order.
Example of order of verbs with preposition
- I do not know, from what city you are. (CORRECT FORMAL)
- I don’t know, what city you’re from. (CORRECT SPOKEN ENGLISH, INFORMAL)
Example of order of phrasal verbs
- This is the kind of English, I will not put up with. (CORRECT. Put out with= tolerate)
- This is the kind of English up with, I will not put. (INCORRECT)
Last sentence has its origin when Churchill heard speeches in a very formal English -with the preposition at the beginning of the subordinate sentence.
Although you need to practice a lot before you become an expert in that subject, below you can find two hacks in order to use ser and estar properly in Spanish.
Use of ‘ser’
- ‘Ser’ is used to describe a permanent feature:
- Jose es aburrido. (Jose is boring.)
- Esta ciruela es negra. (This plumb is black. What kind of plumb is it? Black.)
Use of ‘estar’
- ‘Estar’ is used to describe a transitory feature:
- Jose está aburrido (Jose is bored).
- Esta ciruela está verde (This plumb is green -Meaning: This plumb is unripped-. How is this plumb? It is green.)
- With some words:
- Está bien. Está mal. (Incorrect: Es bien. Es mal.)
A hint to remember the gender of words in German language consists of using the visual memory instead of learning them by heart.
For instance you want to remember the gender of the body parts. You can draw a man, a woman or a toy with human shape. Then you choose a color for masculine gender, another one for femenine gender and another one for neutral gender. For example you can use this combination: blue, pink, grey. Then you colour each part of the body with the colour of its gender.
- das Ohr (you colour the ears with grey)
- der Mund (you colour the mouth with blue)
- die Hand (you colour the hands with pink)
Your brain will remember the picture and you will be able to identify the gender of each body part.
How to find people
Everything depends on the ammount of potential people that you have:
You want to create an event from the beginning
Follow these steps:
- Speak with your friends about setting up an event and convince them to promote it and organise it.
- Contact international associations and tell them about your idea. Probably they will help you to organise a big event, otherwise the may send an email to their members.
- Look for potential assistants in social networks according to their country of birth, languages and other parameters.
- You can open the event to all languages so you can have more assistants.
- Tell them to register in Lingua2.
You already have a conversation group
Make your group bigger broadcasting all your events in Lingua2 and inviting our existing members.
What to offer
- Conversation meeting specific for one language
- Conversation meeting in all languages
- International welcome parties (Erasmus, international students, international professionals, etc.)
- International parties in general
- Just for fun event
- Find your language partner event
- Long events abroad for language learning or just for fun
- Any other event 🙂
In this little article we are going to tackle one of the most common mistakes in English language, the use of what ore which.
It is used when the answer has many choices. E.g.:
- What color do you like? (There are many colors)
- What city are you from?
It is used when the answer has a limited number of choices or the question is providing a list of choices.
- Which hand do you write with? (The answer must be ‘left’ or ‘right’).
- Which color do you prefer: red or white? (The question contains a list of choices)
KMplayer, unlike VLC player, is the only supporting simulataneous subtitles without using any plugin such as Subtitler Lite. Learning languages watching a film with two subtitles is a good way to improve your listening and vocabulary skills.
The first things that you need to do is downloading KMplayer. Once it is ready to use open a film and then right click on the screen. Select ‘Subtitles’ and then ‘Subtitle language’. Load the first subtitle and then repeat the same process and add ‘2nd subtitle’. You will be able to display them simultaneously in a movie
Our target is to turn our conversation exchange website into the best face-to-face language exchange community in the world. Due to financial reasons and lack of human resources we had to stop working on it after 8 years. As for now our user interface and design is not as attractive and easy to use as we would like it to be. That is why, it is important for us to improve these features and add new ones. In addition, we plan to develop free Android/ IOS apps – and yes, we do have experience in that. If you would like to learn more check our apps here: www.lingua2.net.
The language exchange offline
Our project is focused on giving an opportunity to any person on the move to find a language exchange partner on-the-fly at any time, any place in the world for free. Imagine this. You decide that it would be nice to improve your Spanish language skills for work. But, you are currently in America and you only have some free time in the evenings. What can you do? Use our app to publish your current location and availability for the next hour or so. Your profile will be visible to other users nearby, so they can send you a message to meet for a language exchange. You can also be active yourself and send a brief message to anyone, so, in short, arrange a meeting with others. This gives you a possibility to not only get to know new people and improve language skills, but as well to make new friends. Sometimes for life.
Remember. Lingua2.eu offers you much more. Like, for example, planning your activities and meetings ahead. How? Browse our database by setting some parameters such as language preference, current city, age and other features. Join and create conversation group meetings though lingua2.eu site and invite others from the lingua2.eu community. What is more, your event will be automatically posted on Facebook so everyone who might be interested could join as well. We also give you and your language partner an opportunity to evaluate you and make it visible to other users.
Are you a professional language teacher? Not a problem, we also have a place for you. Just post your updated CV, prefered hour rate and profile on lingua2.eu. Give a possibility for your prospective students or their parents who look for a tutor to find you. Make yourself accesible and visible. We would be more than happy to help you with that.
We hope that you would like to share our passion for making language exchange more accesible worldwide.
The Lingua2 development team welcomes you to the new conversation exchange site. At this moment we are working on the new site, but soon it will be ready.